Monday, February 7, 2011

Throwdown Dos

Ok, after our first resounding success with the Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos, which I received an encore of praise for last night while we reminisced on them during the SuperBowl, it is Chopper's recipe pick. And his choice?

Cauliflower Cheese Soup

I do admit I give Chopper mad props for actually having searched through cookbooks for a recipe (I feel like cook book recipes just have an added legitimacy that websites don't), but I will certainly be tweaking the recipe. Here is my plan:

Cauliflower Cheese Soup, a la Sydney

Ingredients
2 large potatoes, diced (though not peeled)
2 cauliflower, cut or broken in florets (reserve 4 cups of florets)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 small onions
1/2 package of bacon, diced
3 tsp salt
8 cups of vegetable broth
3 cups of a grated cheddar cheese (white and orange)
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 tsp of dill
1 tsp of caraway seed

Directions
1. Fry bacon in the bottom of a large pot. Remove bacon, and soften dice onion in the reserved liquid.
2. Add potato, cauliflower (except reserved florets) carrot, salt and broth and bring to a boil, simmering until all vegetables are tender. Wait to cool, and puree in a blender (the recipe doesn't specify to wait for cooling but this is so crucial if you want to avoid a huge mess/scalding yourself). Add to pot.
3) Add remaining ingredients, giving the florets a 20 minute head start to soften up (don't forget that bacon). Stir.


Chopper's already made this (on Saturday, which I think could be almost cheating...he must have already had the ingredients at the ready...), but I wont press him for a full review until I finish it. Tomorrow night I think. My big changes were, for one, to double the recipe - who doesn't love having a big pot of soup leftovers? Chopper said his recipe was enough for he and Jimmy to have one very large dinner, and that just wont do. I also thought that adding bacon would give a nice smokey flavour, and would allow me to cut down a bit on the cheese, which is also the logic behind caramelizing the onions first. I also figured I would substitute veggie broth for water - looking at this recipe, I can't help but wonder where the flavour is supposed to come from!

I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment