Saturday, January 14, 2012

Resolve: Literacy is Important

I'm done bitching and moaning about my quarter life crisis. It's time to buck up and move onward and upwards. I know - I'm all about resolutions. I make them virtually every month. So, while in years past I have relished in making elaborate and overarching new year's resolutions, this year I am pacing myself. Since I have been in such a rut, I am going to slowly choose the battles which will pull myself out; a total overhaul is all too likely to end in failure.

So, my first resolution: read. Blog. But my second resolution? Read.


I've never felt the need to make myself read. I've been in university for the past 6 years - I've been reading plenty. But I was never reading all that much fiction, or much that wasn't in some way required for school. Now that I'm not in school, my bedside audiobook habit has taken the place of actual literacy.


And that, my friends, is embarrassing.

I have opted to set my aim rather low right now, and I hope I can polish off a book a month. Once I get into the habit of actually picking up a book before bed, rather than opening up my laptop or turning on my ipod, things may snowball.

Here are the first of my twelve books I hope to conquer in 2012:

The Aeneid
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
The Silence of the Lambs
The Hobbit
The Old Man and the Sea
The Picture of Dorian Grey
The Brothers Karamazov

Two of these are novels I have started in the past and never finished, and I refuse to give up on them. I also kind of want to pick a trendy book from the Vogue review, you know, brush up on my current literature.

If you have any wicked suggestions, please pass them along. For now, time to make my way through and epic Latin poem.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! Pretty much the only thing I read after gradation was the entire "Chronicles of Narnia"—and by read, I mean listened to the books on tape.

    I remember thinking after I graduated I would have all this freedom to read whatever I wanted at whatever speed I wanted. I absolutely did not read. It was sad. So, all that to say is I feel your shame. But maybe our brains just needed a rest!

    We should have a long distance book club.

    ReplyDelete