Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolve

Apparently 56% of people do not make New Year's Resolutions.

I find myself, like I so often do, in the minority.

I think through very serious resolutions almost every year since Y2K proved a bust. I consider various facets of my life, set a series of long and short term goals, draft a word document, and forget it exists by February.

So I am depending upon the internet to keep me honest. Are you up for the challenge, internet?


2011 - Get it Done, Sydney Black
1. Make Yoga a Priority. It makes me feel awesome, and yet I somehow always manage to see-saw with it. I don't want to be able to look back and think "man, remember those couple of years when I was really into yoga?" ranking up there with random remembrances like "remember when I loved Grape Crush and Ketchup chips?" and "Remember Silver bell bottom jeans?" Made Concrete: participate in two 30-day challenges this year, and go to yoga at least 300 times.
2. You will be a Runner. Even if it  kills you. And it could. I am a horrible runner, and I can't help but feel that this means, deep down, I'm not really an athlete. All of my athletic friends who I revere are runners. And running is cheap, and you can do it so long as you have running shoes. I want to be one. Made Concrete: complete a 10 k run by the end of the year.
3. Exercise Some Will Power. This is specifically in regards to food, but really it will prove to be the back bone of the success of any of these resolutions. I want to be able to get my diet back under control, which means, sadly...Made Concrete: no more dessert after meals, special occasions excepted.
4. Love Thy Skin. This break, my father, King of tact and Earl of empathy, informed me "Gosh, Syd, you have a bunch of zits around your nose. And your chin. Are you supposed to get zits at 23?" Gee Dad, you know, I don't think so. Asshole. I am desperate to get this harrowing adult acne under control and take excellent care of this skin of mine. Made Concrete: sticking to a pre-bed skin regime, even when it's late, and even when I'm tired. Also, saving money that I would otherwise spend on burgers, and think about treating myself with a facial instead.
5. Regimen, regimen, regimen. Variety is the spice of life and I am nauseated. I need routine to keep myself productive. Made Concrete: must. use. agenda.
6. TLC for my BFFs. I have been truly sub-par as a correspondant ever since I was 13 and had friends from the summers spent at the cabin and friends from the school year. I just always figured it was one of my quirky charms. But, really, that is BS, and basically I am just a shit friend. So, in an uncharacteristically non-narcissistic gesture, I am hoping to keep in touch with my lovely friends, and maybe even stir long stagnant friendships. Made Concrete: Spend an hour on Sunday responding to e-mails or letters, and call at least one friend a week to chat.
7. Finish Your Thesis. Made Concrete: finish your thesis.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment