Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reason Not to Live With Your Parents: #1

This is not the ultimate reason not to live with your parents; no, the ultimate reason is probably that you are someone who lives with their parents, and that is reason enough. But, as I do find myself in this unfortunate position, I foresee a trend in my posts, mulling over the myriad of reasons why I wish I didn't have Arts degrees. So this is the first of many reasons not to live with your parents.

Your personal regimen comes under public scrutiny.

I am used to living by myself, or at most, with a very uncritical cat. So having my grooming habits observed by anyone, let alone a 60-year-old man who lives to tease me, is unwelcome. And when I say my personal regimen is becoming public, I don't just mean that my mum and dad realize that before bed I wash my face, apply a mask, tone, apply a serum, followed by an anti-aging oil, eye cream and thick night cream - no, no, I mean that this perhaps obsessive dedication to skin care is being documented. As in photographed. Which means it will soon be shown off to any even mildly interested person my dad encounters when he has his camera in hand. And this complaint is not limited to skin care of course; size and regularity of meals, waking and sleeping hours, exercise routine, regularity of laundry - everything will be noticed and open to unwanted commentary.

I want my relatively silent cat back.

No comments:

Post a Comment